Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
4513 Members
30 Forums
2276 Topics
3995 Posts

Max Online: 211 @ 01/16/14 06:07 PM
Resources

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1873 - 08/29/04 03:59 AM Tom Carmichael - Discount "RIPOFF!!"
afree2004 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Buyer Beware of Tom Carmichael of Discount Contractors. Tom took my money and ran, will not return calls, and will not complete the job he was contracted to do.

"Discount" to Tom means, shortcut, lie and cheat! (The five finger kind)
The bathroom remodel was botched, with insurance work quoted simply not done at all. The carpet is comming up all over the place and sections of padding missing everywhere. The screens were measured wrong, incorrectly installed by his teenage son, and he refused to finish the last four windows after being paid for the job. Marble paid for was never installed (Everything was always comming that Saturday - what a con artist!)

#1874 - 09/09/04 05:08 PM Re: Tom Carmichael - Discount "RIPOFF!!"
pbjinc03 Offline

Loc: Chandler, AZ USA
I can never say this enough. You should never give a deposit up front or pay for the job in full when that is not the case. Our companies policy is 100% of contract is due upon completion. We don't ask for money up front or during the construction phase. On a large remodel they should submit an invoice and you should agree to the items that have been completed as to the items that are being billed for.

#4331 - 08/31/10 11:43 AM Re: Tom Carmichael - Discount "RIPOFF!!" [Re: afree2004]
Houston1 Offline

While my experience with Tom Carmichael was not to this extreme, I would not choose to work with him again and will not recommend him to anyone. Get in- get your money and do as little as possible seems to be the motto. The exception would be his tile guys. They care about their work though they did make a mistake and choose the wrong sealer for a concrete floor. The rest of his crew.... let the gaps in my floor and leaks speak for themselves. Thankfully, we did not trust them with our entire project.

Edited by Houston1 (08/31/10 11:44 AM)

#4404 - 01/27/11 02:46 PM Re: Tom Carmichael - Discount "RIPOFF!!" [Re: Houston1]
houstontom Offline

Loc: UMI
This guy Tom CarMichael told me he needed half of the money for materials up front, now hes over 3 months past the deadline and now he wont answer any of my calls!@ He destroyed my bathroom and never came back! This guy took $2,000 from me...

WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS? I NEVER GOT A CONTRACT FROM THIS GUY!

#4478 - 04/29/11 10:55 AM Re: Tom Carmichael - Discount "RIPOFF!!" [Re: houstontom]
Admin5 Offline

Administrator

Loc: n/a
Be on the lookout for a new service in the future that is going to allow consumers much more protection when hiring contractors. It is in the planning stages now and hopefully will be launching in the next few months.

#4795 - 03/20/12 07:21 AM Re: Tom Carmichael - Discount "RIPOFF!!" [Re: houstontom]
deceived Offline

If you have a check stub made out to Discount Contractors, take him to small claims court. I plan to do just that after his crew installed a patio that slanted toward my house flooding the ground floor every time it rains. I now have to pay another contractor to fix the problem.

#4796 - 03/20/12 07:26 AM Re: Tom Carmichael - Discount "RIPOFF!!" [Re: deceived]
deceived Offline

I wish I had found this web site before I hired Discount Contractors. I can't get them to come back even after many promises to fix the problem they caused. They installed a brick paver patio slanting toward my house causing the bottom floor to flood after each rain. Moldy sheetrock has now compounded the problem. I have another company contracted to tear up the patio & reinstall it correctly. I plan to sue Discount Contractors & have plenty evidence to back me up.

#6025 - 12/03/13 12:52 PM Re: Tom Carmichael - Discount "RIPOFF!!" [Re: deceived]
SAMofTX Offline

Quote:
I'm so glad we didn't hire them
- we saved their card after seeing them two years in a row at the home and garden show. Texting about what you want is fine for small stuff but not for deciding the whole job. The son Sean didn't know what dovetail joints for cabinet drawers were, but I dismissed that red flag because he's more the sales person. The red flags for us were them saying they didn't like pulling permits - we live in a townhouse so we wanted permits pulled. Their insistence on us using their cabinet guy to then quote us 46K for cabinets, which didn't include dovetail drawers or soft close slides, or hardware. We found another source 28K includes dovetail, hardware, all wood, bull-nose shelves, the basic hood-vent, garbage pales and unseen soft close drawer slides. We knew Discount Contractors was trying to make money off of us when they gave us their cabinet price quote. And all the communication by texting is very unprofessional.
Quote:
I'm so glad we didn't hire them
[b][/b]