Who's Online
0 registered (), 78 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
4513 Members
30 Forums
2276 Topics
3995 Posts

Max Online: 211 @ 01/16/14 06:07 PM
Resources

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1890 - 03/12/04 04:15 PM Azzul Designs
PT Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA
My Wife and I hired Azzul Designs, San Jose, CA - Marcia Ribeiro, to do interior painting, faux painting, hardwood floor refinishing, epoxy paint of garage floor, etc. We signed a contract for $5200, where it required 50% payment in advance, which I foolishly paid. This was after I asked her if she was licensed and bonded, she told us she was.
Well, the work was completly unprofessional, things were not masked , she dripped paint all over the baseboards, all over our newly repainted ceiling, she took paint that we purchased back to the store, changed the color and painted our entry and hallway TANGERINE Orange. We were absolutly horrified and after 7 days, she had done about 1/3 of the painting(she told us the job would take her and her crew 5 days, there was no crew), which all had to be re-Primed, 2 coats just to cover the mess. We were put out of our house for 2 days because she messed up every room, without finishing anything. So, I fired her on the grounds that she was not a professional and her contract stated that all work would be done in a professional manner, I asked her for $1300 of my $2600 back, just to try to be nice. Well the next thing that happend was a knock on my door at 8pm at night when I was served with a Small Claims lawsuit where she is trying to enforce a 50% cancellation fee that was trickily written into the contract we signed. We are counter-suing her for $5000, which is the repainting costs, cost of hotel, repair of a bathroom sink that she broke completly away from the drain pipe. So, I am wondering what grounds could she have for asking a judge to make us pay 100% of a contract, where only 1/3 of the work was even started and we had to pay another painter to repaint over the mess? We have some extremely incriminating photos, we have all the invoices from the repaint. Is this woman nuts? Should My wife and I be worried? Seems nuts, but I have never had an experience like this. We have filed a complaint with the California State Contractors License Borad and also the California Council of Interior Designers. She is not licensed or bonded as she told us. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I know there are Contractor laws where if you are not licensed, you cannot do a job for more that $500 and if you are a licensed contractor, it is illegal to write a contract asking for more than a 10% down payment and I have a cancelled check for $2600.

Thanks for any input.

Pat

5/1/04 She lost her case in court due to performing work that required her to be a licensed contractor. We won our counter-suit and were awarded $1300 because "the work performed was GROSSLY sub-standard" Now we are taking her back to court to subpeona her financial records so, we can get paid. What fun!
[This message has been edited by PT (edited 03-12-2004).]

[This message has been edited by PT (edited 03-12-2004).]

[This message has been edited by PT (edited 05-07-2004).]

#1891 - 07/27/04 08:29 PM Re: Azzul Designs
jdlong Offline

Loc: Kaukauna, WI
Congratulations! You were vindicated! This woman sounds like a rookie who did some work around her own home, got some pats on the back, and they went to her head. She then decided to go pro. She may of gotten some formal training in do***ent writing but doesn't have the skills to walk the talk. A big surprise to many do-it-yourselfers gone pro. If mixing paint is a science, applying it is an art. Like playing guitar, it looks much easier than it really is.

[This message has been edited by jdlong (edited 07-27-2004).]