Who's Online
0 registered (), 70 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
4513 Members
30 Forums
2277 Topics
3993 Posts

Max Online: 211 @ 01/16/14 06:07 PM
Resources

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4330 - 08/31/10 11:04 AM Tom Carmichael-Discount Contractors- Houston-UGH!
Houston1 Offline

This post is meant for anyone who does their homework and is wary of a rip off project with shoddy workmanship.

1. Claims on Angie's list that he doesn't require licensing to "do' what he does. However, he was willing to quote for electrical work. I am under the assumption that any work that involves relocating and installing new fixtures or relocation of outlets requires a license.

Buyers beware: My experience with Discount Contractors

1. Floor is coming apart. Contractor did not install proper padding to float the hardwood. 3 inch gaps where floor has shifted.
2. Leaky door. Helper installed new door- per contract but did not properly seal the door. Leaking every time it rains.
3. Poor communication between team led to incorrect sealer used on concrete floor. Tiles are stained.
4. Despite contractual agreement- attempted to charge extra for work that was part of agreement.
5. Poor workmanship- for example- installed baseboards but did not caulk. Incorrctly measured and left gaps in beadboard where fixtures were placed.
6. Lot's of little things that homeowners paid for but were left undone despite request to complete work.
7. No show on days they agreed to work.
8. Messy. Left cans and items outside after installing new doors. Tracked across newly tiled floor and did not cover when installing doors. Left scratches and stains.

Conclusion- do your homework before hiring a contractor. This includes reading reviews, calling people who have worked with the contractor and looking for a contractor who is associated with the BBB. Angie's list may be practical- but not necessarily the full truth when it comes to quality and peace of mind. I would not recommend or hire this contractor again.
General contractor implies the following:
A.Ability to perform multiple types of jobs.
B.Oversees project
Both A and B were touch and go with this individual and his group.

#4406 - 02/01/11 04:55 PM Re: Tom Carmichael-Discount Contractors- Houston-UGH! [Re: Houston1]
Who Dat Fan Offline

Loc: The Bayou
Those guys actually got burned a few years back for making sales pitch calls to people on the National "Do Not Call" Registry.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagNews/release.php?id=2779

#4477 - 04/27/11 09:00 AM Re: Tom Carmichael-Discount Contractors- Houston-UGH! [Re: Houston1]
Ferdinando Offline

I too hired Tom carmichael to install a fence and 2 automatic gates with openers. It's been almost a year now since starting. Fence is up but assistant did not have an idea of how to install a gate opener on a 16' iron gate. Nor adjust one.I have two gates. One--the big one I can not use because it's been literally tied up for 3 weeks. This project started in Oct. 2010. It is now 4/27/2011. I've been promised by Tom for the last three weeks that they would come back and correct the problems. I wait no phone calls as to whether or not they will be out that day, the next or the next. I've been very patient with them. I understand that they need to make money to complete that job and to begin the next. All I wanted was a call letting me know they weren't coming. Not even the decency of that. One can text Tom and he will get back to you. Don't pay all up-front and hold out until the project is completd to your satisfaction. I will never hire them again nor recommend them.

#4943 - 07/11/12 11:45 AM Re: Tom Carmichael-Discount Contractors- Houston-UGH! [Re: Ferdinando]
MosesXIII Offline

I had Discount Contractors work on the house I had purchased in Sugarland. I got Tom's name from Floor and Decor on hwy 6 where he is a preferred contractor. I had some other prices but Tom really seemed to know what he was doing. They refaced my cabinets, put granite on my kitchen counters., tiled the floor and painted. I had it all done before I moved in. Great job.

#5076 - 10/04/12 09:17 AM Re: Tom Carmichael-Discount Contractors- Houston-UGH! [Re: MosesXIII]
deceived Offline

It's been three months since Daniel who works for Discount Contractors started our work. Weeks go by without anyone coming. There's always an excuse. Discount Contractors owes us $4500 for shody work on a patio & I kindly agreed to let them work it off. We have ladders & scaffling up to two balconies that have no railings. This is a welcome sign for someone to break in. The neighbors are not happy having to look at this mess. My flower beds have been destroyed with thinset poured into them. Trash has not been removed. Looks like they're starting other jobs before finishing ours.

#6024 - 12/03/13 12:48 PM Re: Tom Carmichael-Discount Contractors- Houston-UGH! [Re: Ferdinando]
SAMofTX Offline

I'm so glad we didn't hire them - we saved their card after seeing them two years in a row at the home and garden show. Texting about what you want is fine for small stuff but not for deciding the whole job. The son Sean didn't know what dovetail joints for cabinet drawers were, but I dismissed that red flag because he's more the sales person. The red flags for us were them saying they didn't like pulling permits - we live in a townhouse so we wanted permits pulled. Their insistence on us using their cabinet guy to then quote us 46K for cabinets, which didn't include dovetail drawers or soft close slides, or hardware. We found another source 28K includes dovetail, hardware, all wood, bull-nose shelves, the basic hood-vent, garbage pales and unseen soft close drawer slides. We knew Discount Contractors was trying to make money off of us when they gave us their cabinet price quote. And all the communication by texting is very unprofessional. I'm so glad we didn't hire them