Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
4634 Members
30 Forums
2356 Topics
4116 Posts

Max Online: 240 @ 04/26/15 01:57 PM
Resources

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6747 - 08/27/16 07:16 AM Will not finish kitchen remodel!
PostOakGuy Offline

I need help deciding if I did the right thing. I'm at the end of a kitchen remodel with my contractor that I have been using for at least 7 years. He is super slow but he does the work himself and I have always been very pleased with his craftsmanship. He always prepares an estimate of what the project will cost but we have never actually signed a contract. For my Kitchen remodel he has taken a crazy long time to finish, He started in April and he still has not finished the job. He has not worked a four day week since the project began. He barely has worked any three day weeks. At least six weeks he has not worked at all. I owe him about 1200 dollars for work he has completely but the job is 90% complete. I told him it would be best for me to just cut him a final check once he has completed. He was upset and said he needed money to make bills but I did not cave in. Later that day, he stormed off with all his tools and left the key to my house on the countertops. I texted him the next day and he said he needed money now so he would be back at my house the following week. That still has not happened. He always text next week. This has been going on for two weeks

We have always had a great relationship, maybe to close, but I can't believe he may walk away and not finish the job.

Was I wrong for withholding money? What should I do?

#6748 - 08/27/16 07:21 AM Re: Will not finish kitchen remodel! [Re: PostOakGuy]
PostOakGuy Offline

It's a difficult situation because it's hard to find guys that do excellent work at an excellent price. My contractor charged my 18k to completely gut my kitchen and build custom cabinetry and do all work minus appliances